Friday 22 November 2013

Makeup Geek Eyeshadows Haul/Review




Hi All, hope you are doing well.

Today's post is on some eye shadow pans I purchased online a month or two ago. I wanted to review some of the Makeup Geek eye shadows as this line was much anticipated by all of Marlena's subscribers on YouTube. If you don't know already, Marlena has a channel on YouTube called Makeup Geek TV. She is one of the most well-known American You Tubers out there who's videos have got thousands of hits. The line Makeup Geek cosmetics initially started off with the eye shadows pans but has expanded with brushes, palettes, lipsticks and even eye pigments.

To be honest, I first I didn't pay any attention to her makeup line at all, because a lot of You tubers now a days are bringing out this makeup line and this brush line;  so I am guilty - I did just kind of dismiss it. Then one day, I came by one of Marlena's video which showed her eye shadows as dupes for MAC shadows! [I WILL LINK THE VIDEO DOWN BELOW CHECK IT OUT] (If you know me, you know how much crazy in love I am with MAC - especially the eyeshadows) - I thought, heyyy let me check this out, of course making a claim that your eye shadows are just as good as MAC's if not better, is a huge claim to make, who isn't going to want to check It out and see if it really lives up to the claim?! That's what initially drew me to the Makeup Geek line, not only that Jaclyn Hill from JacylnHill1 another You Tuber was also raving about her shadows.

I have to admit, these shadows ARE just as good as MAC if not BETTER! They are affordable, come in a wide range of colours and finishes and are definitely worth the price. I was so glad when I checked the website that they ship INTERNATIONALLY! So anyone of you can purchase these products. That sold me, and what's even better is that - I thought the postage would take forever, it didn't - they arrived around 2 weeks from when I ordered  which was a lot quicker than I had even imagined. I was so pleased! All the items were wrapped up carefully and lots of safety packaging to make sure the shadows or other items did not get damaged in the process of arrival.

DESCRIPTION OF SHADOWS/ SWATCHES

The shadows I ordered were, Cosmopolitan, Mermaid, Cocoa Bear, Cinderella, Homecoming and Mango Tango. - I love all of them. They are all quite shimmery, apart from Cocoa Bear which is a deep chocolate brown colour that is matte and can be used for blending. I also purchased a flat eye shadow brush and a pigment in Vegas Lights which is a dark copper bronze shade. I chose to buy the pan eye shadows but you can also buy them as individually packaged ones as well if you want.

Makeup Geek's website describes these shadows as:

Cosmopolitan - 'Rose gold with gold flecks and a shimmery finish'

Mermaid - 'Metallic teal with reflects gold'

Cocoa Bear - 'Matte reddish brown'

Cinderella - 'Pale shimmery pink'

Homecoming - 'Medium brown with gold shimmer'

Mango Tango - 'Peachy Pink with shimmer'

All of the shadows are so extremely pigmented, as you can tell from the swatches, I made only swatch in the shadow and swiped it on the back of my hand. This is without any primer, so imagine the pay off with a primer - it would be insane. The colours are true to the pan and are not one dimensional. Mermaid, and Cosmopolitan have an iridescence to them, with hits of rose gold, and goldish shimmer to them. Cinderella and Homecoming are also shimmery but have the same colour shine through them. I could rave about these eye shadows forever, I am so glad I purchased these & I will definitely be on the hunt for more shades. These shadows are great for beginners or even pro makeup artists for their kits. They are great dupes for higher end shadows like MAC (link below). I honestly believe they are worth every investment and are guaranteed to last you a very long time.

TOP ROW - LEFT TO RIGHT: 'Homecoming', 'Cocoa Bear', 'Mango Tango',
BOTTOM ROW LEFT TO RIGHT:  'Cosmopolitan', 'Mermaid' & 'Cinderella'



'Cosmopolitan' - in the pan with lighting, and swatched on the hand


 
'Homecoming' in the pan and then swatched on the hand 
 

 
'Mango Tango' in the pan and then swatched
 


 
'Mermaid' in the pan and then swatched 

 
 
'Cocoa Bear' in the pan and then swatched 

 
 
 
 
'Cinderella' in the pan and then swatched
 

 

 

 
 

PRICE - Cheap, Affordable but HIGH QUALITY.

For those of you who live In the UK when I converted the price from dollars to pounds each eye shadow pan worked out around £3.70 each, compared to MAC's £12-£14.50 per shadow! That's crazy! Why pay triple the price for a product of the same quality that you can get else where. The postal charge depends on where you live, but again I thought it would be really expensive its not, it works out around £4.31, which is pretty reasonable as they come by First Class Priority US Mail.

PACKAGING  -

The packaging design of these shadows is so cute. On each shadow there is a warm personal message by Marlena herself, which I think is very nice touch to have - makes it that extra bit special. The overall design on the packaging - is its simple, but effective - its quite a quirky design. I personally think that the packaging on these items isn't what its about, the product is so amazing itself, that the packaging doesn't really come into it.



OVERALL -

Pros -
  • Super pigmented
  • Top Notch Quality - better colour pay off than some MAC shadows
  • Affordable - Such great quality and such low prices - you cant go wrong
  • A lot of product for your money - long lasting

Cons -
  • You might have to wait a little for your amazing products to arrive!
Out of 10? 10/10 - Takes a lot for any product to get a 10 out of 10 rating. If you saw my previous post, rating on those products was a 7/8 of out 10 (higher end product) - I think that says it all. I would highly recommend them.

Check out Marlena's video 'MAC vs. Makeup Geek Eye shadow SMACKDOWN', for dupes and more about her makeup line http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGOpvRmBV4I 

You can purchase Makeup Geek cosmetics from - https://www.makeupgeek.com/

From more information on any products check out Marlena's channel and her website. (links as same as above)

DISCLAIMER: All photos are taken by me unless stated otherwise. I own all the rights to these photos. All products reviewed in this post were purchased with my own money. Any comments or opinions made here are my own, none of which are influenced or affiliated with any other persons or companies.

As always hope you have enjoyed this post on a new product which you can get hold of which is not readily available in the UK. Definitely worth purchasing at such a low price. If you have any comments, suggestions, requests or ideas please leave them down below and I will be sure to get back to you as soon as possible.

Much Love,

B xx

1 comment:

  1. I love makeup geek eye shadows so much! I just received the new foiled ones today and Im going to be reviewing them soon! I would love if you followed my blog back!

    Jenan
    http://lavieenmauve-jj.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete